Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wayfinding on Campus

As I was walking to my classes in the Art and Design building and Wescoe I noticed how poorly some of the pathways had been shoveled and that some of the most direct ones had not been shoveled at all. Especially outside Wescoe the most direct routes were not available. In this picture you can see that only part of the landing had been shoveled. These shoveled areas created obvious pathways and even though the snow was not deep, there were no foot prints on it. People preferred to follow the outlined, shoveled, pathway as opposed to the most direct route through the snow. I noticed myself doing this without even thinking about it. This is an example of how wayfinding can be found everywhere and is not always noticed, even by people who are aware of its existence in the design world.

No comments:

Post a Comment