Thursday, April 10, 2014

Errol Morris on Photography


   Errol asserts that people have forgotten that photographs are connected to the physical world and that photos decontextualize their subject. He believes that all photographs are posed whether through the omission or addition of elements. I found this idea interesting and it led me to think of photographs as more than just a picture and more as a piece of actual time depicting a physical place. It also led me to question how the photographer changed the way that space looks to the viewer when photographing it. Whether a photograph is posed or not, it is a study of what the photographer was feeling about his subject matter at the time. A photo should evoke curiosity about the subject matter and the time it was taken in.
   Errol also said, in reference to “iconic photos,” that certain photos have a “power over us.” This made me question what kind of photo can have power over a person. I think the “power” Errol was referring to was the power some photos have to invite a person to investigate the photo deeper just based on the subject matter. This led me to ask the question of how I could implement that power in my own photographs and how I could lead people to want to know more about my subject matter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment